Thursday, June 17, 2004

Love

My thoughts were so well reflected by this small story I came across that I had to make this entry into my blog.

I once had a friend who grew to be very close to me. Once when we were sitting at the edge of a swimming pool, she filled the palm of her hand with some water and held it before me, and said this: "You see this water carefully contained on my hand? It symbolizes Love." This was how I saw it: "As long as you keep your hand caringly open and allow it to remain there, it will always be there. However, if you attempt to close your fingers round it and try to posses it, it will spill through the first cracks it finds. This is the greatest mistake that people do when they meet love...they try to posses it, they demand, they expect... and just like the water spilling out of your hand, love will retrieve from you. For love is meant to be free, you cannot change its nature. If there are people you love, allow them to be free beings. Give and don't expect. Advise, but don't order. Ask, but never demand. It might sound simple, but! it is a lesson that may take a lifetime to truly practice. It is the secret to true love. To truly practice it, you must sincerely feel no expectations from those who you love, and yet an unconditional caring." Passing thought... Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take; but by the moments that take our breath away ........
-- Swami Vivekananda

There are also another kind of people who believe that someone else can never understand their requirement of space. They want a number of things, but at the end of everything you have certain fringes attached.
There are no free meals in this world.
It might sound slightly materialistic in the present context, but the fact remains that an element of possessiveness is always there....the right of "advising, but not ordering", the right of "Asking, and not demanding"....if even these things are never given importance then is there still a point in continuing the devotion towards that person...
Over the last One year I have realised myself, in various new facets,with many new feelings which I thought I might be incapable of expressing or possessing.
It was a good experience.
Space is soooo important and so is Love....
So am signing off with the song " Janeman Janeman..Tere do Nayan..."
Its an amazing song expressing the beauty and love....

1 comment:

Sunil Kumar said...

"Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? But strive for greater gifts. And i will show you a still more excellent way.

If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gang or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If i give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient; love is kind, love is not envious or boastful, or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrong doing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes in all things, hopes all things and endures all things.


--An excerpt from The Bible - I Corinthinans Ch. 13
where Paul tells us what God has to say about His greatest gift to mankind - Love. Indubitably, Love is most defnitely the best gift that God has and will ever give to mankind. If it is true that God's gifts put mankind's best gifts to shame, then imagine the splendour and glory that Love, the best of God's gifts, should be resplendent with. We, with our inevitably human perspective, more often than not, fail miserably to behold love in all its true grandeur. Thats when we need to remember that God, The sole author of love, is the only One who we can turn to - who can enable us to see clearly, and keep our lives from becoming noisy gongs or clanging cymbals.

Thank you God for you priceless gift of Love. I ask you O Lord, in all my constant faltering, to teach me how to tread on this most excellent way that you want me to take. Amen.